Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Issues

We are having some issues in the Coats household. Diaper issues. And it is not so much we, as it is KASE! The kid will not keep his diaper on.



One minute Kyle, Kase and I will all be in the same room, and the next minute I will notice that Kase is missing. I'll hunt him down and find him standing naked, holding his diaper in his hand.

And Kase will take his pants and diaper off in his crib before falling asleep for naps and bedtime. One night I went in to check on the boys before I went to bed and found Kase sleeping, with no pants, on wet sheets. Jason changed the sheets while I tried to diaper and clothe a kid who just wanted to roll over an go back to sleep.







The boys have an Elmo DVD about going to the potty that they watch sometimes. They learned the word "potty" from it and have been known to bust into the bathroom and yell "Momma potty" from time to time.

Lots of times Kase would head to the bathroom and take his diaper off there. He would move the step stool over to the toilet and stand in front of it. Once I tracked him down, he would point to the toilet and say "potty."

Even though the boys were showing interest in the potty, I didn't think they were ready to be potty trained. I don't even like typing those words. The idea of potty training two boys scares me to death.

But, Kase was not letting up. I would find him naked in the bathroom like 4 times a day. So I thought I would facilitate the idea and let the boys pick out some potties at Target.

That trip to Target is one I will NEVER forget! Jenny was able to meet me in the parking lot so we took the boys inside, no stroller, no shopping cart. I had heard that it was best to let your kid pick out the potty so that they are excited about it.

I felt so overwhelmed once we found the potty isle. I had no idea what kind of potty to get. I didn't even know if little boys were supposed to stand or sit. Plus I had two almost two year olds running free in Target.

We ended up getting three potties that day. I know, 3 potties for 2 kids... a little excessive. I let Kase pick between the Elmo and the Diego ring. He chose Elmo. Notice that they are still snacking on their Chick-Fil-A breakfast!





And Kyle got to try out the other kind of potty. Jenny and I cracked up when Kyle sat side saddle on this one.



Kyle is new to this too! He figured it out though!



Kyle had made his choice and tried to carry it all the way to the registers. And this wasn't Kyle's only trick. Once we got to the register, Kyle reached in and pushed a button... which happened to be the off switch to the register computer. The screen went black... I was mortified! I walked out of there with my head hanging.



Not long after we got home with the 3 potties, they were given the ax. Kase was very excited about the new potties, but can't really figure out how to actually go. He ended up taking his diaper off even more and was never able to go in the potty.

So the potties were put up, and the duct tape came out. I started putting a ring of duct tape around Kase's diaper and it seems to be doing the trick. He even yells "tape" when he sees me coming at him with the roll of duct take and a clean diaper. And he usually doesn't even put up a fight.

I suppose if we are going to have issues, these are the ones to have. No one is worse off and we have plenty of stories to tell the boys' girlfriends when they are older!

3 comments:

alyssa said...

HA! My mom had to put duct tape on my diapers too because a month before I turned 2 I started ripping off my diapers and running to the toliet and pointing at it. Although my mom said I screamed when they put the duct tape on.

JHP said...

"Tape!"

Oh, I laugh! Also, at the side saddle...Jenny told me about it, but the picture is even better. :) Those boys!

JHP said...

Oh, and Harper just learned the word "tampon." Awesome, huh? ;)