Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sick Babies

Well, we escaped it long enough. The boys finally got sick... for real sick. They have had mild fevers and runny noses and coughs, but nothing like this. Never unexplained puke for SEVEN days. Yes, seven!

About a month ago, on a Friday afternoon, I called my mom from work and she told me the bad news. Kase had thrown up three or four times. I had no idea what I was in for when I got home. He was pitiful. I held him for the next few hours, while he would throw up every twenty to thirty minutes and just cry afterwards, not knowing what was happening to him. It was heart breaking. He couldn't even keep water down for more than a few minutes.

We called my sister, Jenny, and she gave us the orders for no food or water. After no puking for two hours he could have water, after no puking for four hours after that he could have anything off the BRAT diet...Banana, Rice, Apples, Toast. We didn't make it to that point for quite a while.

Kyle hadn't shown any signs of being sick so we put him to bed at 7:00. A few hours later he was crying. Jason went into their room and there was puke all over Kyle and all over his crib. The rest of the night is pretty much a blur, but I know it was filled with plenty of puke, changing clothes, changing sheets, giving baths and lots of laundry.

Saturday and Sunday were mostly puke free, but the boys were really dragging. I thought it was just a 24 hour virus until the puke was back Sunday night. And then it didn't stop. With two boys puking it seemed like someone was puking every few hours, but once I started writing down when they would puke, drink, eat, and get medicine I noticed that each of them would sometimes go 5-12 hours without getting sick. I would convince myself that we made it through, but then the puke would return.

We were constantly getting medical advise from Jenny, my sister the PA, and I knew it was a virus and that the doctor wouldn't be able to do anything about it. But, on the seventh day I was about to lose it so I took them in. Diagnosis: virus, sometimes they just take this long. I knew it. At least Kase threw up in the doctor's office just to show the nurses and doctor that they meant business!

And the rest of us weren't spared either. I was bedridden Monday, Jason on Tuesday, my Mom and Jenny on Wednesday, and because Jason's parents watched the boys for us for several hours on Sunday, when we thought we were out of the woods, they got it too! Thankfully the adults got over it in about 24 hours or so.

Just look at these pitiful babies. Poor things!







Both boys, but Kyle especially, would cry and cry and cry for a bottle of milk. If they had gone 12 hours without puking I would give in a give them a few ounces of watered down milk. After a few times of that coming back to bite me in the butt, I banned all milk. Since they had to go several mornings without their beloved bottle of milk first thing in the morning, I decided that this would be the time to get rid of the bottles. We were already half way there and I didn't want to start over again. After a few more days they were broke of their bottles. Yea! The only good thing to come from all of this puking!

No comments: