Thursday, May 7, 2009

Back To Work

I went back to work on April 13th, two days before the boys turned 15 weeks old. I work in the afternoons on Monday through Thursday and all day on Friday. My Mom changed to part time so that she is able to watch the boys while I am at work. Basically her work schedule at the hospital is the exact opposite of mine... except she starts a lot earlier than I do! I'm so grateful that she is able to do this for us. Child care is out of control expensive and I doubt any day care would work around the schedule that we have created. And I'm pretty sure she doesn't hate it too much!

I thought I would write a post about our typical day... mostly so I can go back and read it a year from now and feel "all squishy" inside! (That was a shout out to Laura... remember when you said that?)

The boys have been sleeping pretty good lately. They usually wake up to eat around 4 or 5 am. Every once in a while I will wake up before they do so I will go ahead and wake them up to eat so that we stay close to schedule. I change diapers and swaddle them back up before I feed them. They are usually asleep by the time they are done eating so I maneuver one baby onto the ottoman while I burp and get the other baby to sleep in the crib. I won't be able to leave one on the ottoman much longer, but since they are swaddled and can't roll over yet it works for now. Once number one is back to sleep, I burp number two and get him back to sleep. Sometimes the getting back to sleep part takes 5 minutes, sometimes it takes 30.

7:00 - 8:00 am: One or both of the boys will wake up some time between 7 and 8. They usually wake up in a good mood and we talk and play until it is time to eat. I try to get a bowl of cereal down too. And I end up changing a few diapers in there as well.

8:00 - 8:20 am: Breakfast for the boys.

8:20 - 8:30 am: The boys are in an even better mood with full tummies. They play on the activity mat or sit in the Bumbo chairs while I get dressed and put my tennis shoes on.

8:30 - 9:00 am: We go for a run/walk in the jogging stroller. I just added this to our routine this week. I decided I had to start getting some exercise in. I need to get rid of my 5 month pregnant belly that is still hanging around! At one point before the babies and before the pregnancy, I worked out after work pretty religiously. I miss the classes that I used to go to, but I know if I try to go after work and after I feed the boys I will just get burned out and stop going. Plus that would mean two showers a day and I barely have time for one!

9:00 - 9:30 am: Cool down! I carry the boys back in the house and play with them on the activity mat while I catch my breath. The second one of them starts getting fussy they get swaddled and I sway them to sleep. Hopefully baby number two hasn't started crying by the time I get baby number one to sleep, but that happens sometimes. Its just part of having twins... sometimes they have to wait. I try to get number two to sleep as soon as number one goes down to keep them on the same sleep schedule.

9:30 - 10:00 am: While both are napping in their crib I get a shower and blow dry my hair if I have time before they wake up. They usually nap for about 30 minutes in the morning.

10:00 - 11:00 am: More play time and I finally get the boys dressed for the day. Up until now they are still wearing the T-shirt that they wear to bed. I try not to let anyone sleep for more than 45 minutes so that they will want another nap after lunch. I usually don't have to worry about that. Sometimes they will get fussy near the end of the hour. I will walk around holding both for a while, but my arms can only make it for about 20 minutes. I'll give in and feed 15 minutes early if I have to. That doesn't happen too often these day. The boys know the schedule!

11:00 - 11:20 am: Lunch! For the boys. I grab a bite later. I change diapers and swaddle before I feed them in case they fall asleep after eating. It is easier to slip them into their crib that way. If they are still awake after lunch then the swaddle comes off.

11:20 am - 1:00 pm: Hopefully there is at least an hour nap in there somewhere for the boys. I finish getting ready for work and eat some lunch. I may have to replace a passy or rock someone back to sleep every now and then. My Mom shows up between 12:45 and 1:00.

1:00 - 2:00 pm: Work! Its a quick transition if the boys are still sleeping when my mom gets to my house. I'm able to get completely ready and can leave for work as soon as she gets there.

2:00 - 2:20 pm: Lunch! Again! For the boys. Before I go to work I leave a set of bottles in warm water and my Mom feeds the boys. I pump at work at the same time so that we all stay on the same schedule. The milk I pump is used for the next day's bottles.

2:20 - 5:00 pm: More work! And I assume more play time with grandma and the boys. Sometimes they go on another walk if the weather is nice.

5:00 - 5:20 pm: Dinner! For the boys.

5:20 - 7:50 pm: Jason makes it home and my Mom leaves. I may make dinner for us while Jason entertains the boys or vice versa. They will each spend some time in the jumperoo and the excersaucer. If they are in a good enough mood, we are able to eat dinner also. It is usually done with a baby on each of our laps.

7:50 - 8:00 pm: Jason and I get the boys ready for bed. We change diapers one last time, put them in t-shirts and swaddle them.

8:00 - 8:20 pm: Dinner! Again! For the boys. And sometimes for us if we haven't gotten a chance to eat yet. Several times I have held my plate over the boys as they nurse. If it is something that requires two hands to eat, Jason will cut it up for me.

8:20 - 9:00 pm: Put the boys to sleep. Some nights this is a piece of cake and sometimes Jason is ready to pull his hair out. And on the really easy nights we walk around on edge because we think that it really can't be that easy.

9:00 - 10:00 pm - Some TV time. I try to get to bed around 9:30 or so, but sometimes I get sucked in by a good show from the List or doing something online.

This is just an example of a typical day. It doesn't always go like this, and I try not to be a Nazi about the schedule, but it works pretty well. If we have something to do like a doctor appointment it can be tweaked, but it is almost like the boys know something isn't right. We always say that they have internal alarm clocks set for each meal time.

I'll post a couple pictures because I know that's what everyone wants to see. I'm sure I'm the only one who actually cares about my precious schedule!

Kyle busted out of his swaddle after a nap.


Kase put this wet wash cloth on his head all by himself and left it there.

1 comment:

Mandi said...

Oh no, I care about your schedule! I LOVE schedules. So much so that I'm pretty sure I get made fun of for it (because unlike you, I have been known to be Nazi like).

The washcloth picture is so cute!