Thursday, March 26, 2009

What is Kyle Looking At?

This...
We always noticed that Kyle likes to look at black and white images. We have several black and white pictures hanging in the house and Kyle would get fixed on them. He loves looking at the black and white checkered floor in the kitchen and he will stare at the black trim on my white robe. I also noticed that he would stare up at the black shelf over the diaper changing station in their bedroom. I think he likes the black contrast of the shelf against the white of the ceiling.

I got the idea to tape some black and white images to the bottom of the shelf. I was going to google some and print them out, but I found these three patterns in a brochure that Huggies sent out. I cut them out and now the diaper changing station is Kyle's second favorite place to hang out (the first being the bathroom!). He has gotten better about it, but Kyle used to be really fussy in the evenings. Sometimes laying him down and letting him stare at his black and while pictures would be the only thing that would calm him down.

I also bought two board books with black and while images that he likes. One stays in the diaper bag so I can pull it out if he ever gets fussy when we are out and about.

We have known for a while that Kyle likes the sound of the fan in the bathroom. So, while shopping for Kyle's books on amazon.com I found a CD that plays 71 minutes of constant fan noise. It's so awesome. It plays on repeat non-stop in their room.

Oh, the things I will do for these boys!

2 comments:

JenHowePeel said...

Maybe he would like to borrow the black and white flashcards from Harper--I'll bring 'em over next time I see ya!

Misc. Redhead said...

I have some black and white high heels he can borrow some time! Wait...