Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Week 10

Kase just exhausted after a diaper change





Kyle does more that just sleep in the bathroom. Monday night he was having a ball hitting and kicking this toy hanging from his bouncy seat.

This week I have started working on sticking to a schedule so that when I go back to work I can come home and nurse the boys over lunch. As of now they eat at 6:30, 9:30, 12:30, 3:30, 6:00, and 8:30. Then the goal is to get them both to sleep in their crib. I try to get to bed by 9:30. I'm also working on getting them to sleep through the night. They have slept up to 7 hours two different times. My goal is to have only one middle of the night feeding at 3:30.

The first night Kyle woke up at 1:30 am. I changed his diaper and was able to get him back to sleep in twenty minutes or so. He woke up again at 2:30. I held him while he went in and out of sleep for thirty minutes, and then I gave in at 3:00 and fed both of them. I've mastered the double feed so now the entire process takes 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how long it takes to get them to go back to sleep. I'm pretty sure I had to wake Kase up that night. That's got to be the hardest thing when breast feeding twins... having to wake a peaceful, sleeping baby. But, I have to keep them on the same schedule or I'll never get good sleep. I probably lost out on some sleep this night, but I'm hoping it helps in the long run.

The next night was similar and I ended up giving in again at 3:00. But, the third night... oh, the third night! I bounced out of bed at 3:31 am when I heard crying for the first time that night. And then last night they didn't wake up until after 4:00. I'm using an alternate schedule today because the boys and I are meeting some friends for lunch and they usually eat at 12:30. So today the boy's lunch will be at 11:15 so I will have plenty of time to feed them and get us all to lunch on time.

Before the last feeding of the day at 8:30 we make sure the boys have clean diapers and swaddle them in their swaddle blankets before they start eating. They usually fall asleep when they are done eating so the plan is to burp them and slip them into bed for the night without waking them up. This only works some of the time. At least one of them will wake up a few minutes after laying them down. Sometimes they need to get an extra burp out, and then they will fall back to sleep in your arms so you can set them back down in the crib. And sometimes Kase will decide that he is wide awake so we will try the swing. That usually puts in to sleep after a while so he ends up sleeping in the swing sometimes.

I try to get to bed by 10 so if one of them wakes up after I go to bed Jason gets them back to sleep. I found this picture that I didn't take on the camera. I'm thinking it was kind of Jason's trophy from the night. Later he told me that after he got Kase to go to sleep for the fifth time, Kyle woke up crying around midnight. He changed his diaper, sang a song (with no words) to him, and rocked him back to sleep. I just can't believe he was brave enough to risk waking them up again by taking a picture with a flash. But, I totally understand the feeling of accomplishment when you can look down and see this.


Any pro moms out there have any advice or tips they want to share? I'm very open to suggestions.

1 comment:

Lady LaLa said...

Poor Kase...lying there while people wipe your ass must be such hard work!