Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Our First Dr. Appointment

Wednesday, June 11

Jason and I went to our first appointment. After tons of paperwork and waiting in the waiting room for almost an hour Jason was about to call it quits. I was in no hurry to get back there because I was pretty nervous. I was seeing a new doctor (my old one only delivers at Hillcrest and my mom wasn't going to have that! She has worked at Providence for over 20 years.) and I was pretty sure I was going to have to give blood. The last time I had to give blood was not pretty... I passed out. Plus the veins in my arms are buried way down there so they usually have to get it out of the back of my hand.

So after waiting in the waiting room, we got called back to a room and answered some questions from the nurse and then waited some more. I was weighed (ugh!), peed in a cup, and put the fabulous gown on. Sitting there waiting and talking, Jason learned the difference between a pap smear and a mammogram... he had them confused! Such a boy!

The doctor makes it in and asks pretty much the same questions as the nurse. And then I take my turn and ask him the list of questions I had jotted down over the past few weeks. He leaves and we wait a little longer for the ultrasound machine to become available.

The doctor returns with the machine and another nurse. The first few minutes while he is looking for the baby the screen is turned toward him only. These were some of the longest minutes of my life. I'm praying that I am actually pregnant and not "emotionally pregnant" like crazy Ava on Gray's Anatomy. I had gotten quite used to the idea of being pregnant by this time, and we had shared the news with our families. I'm also praying that the baby he finds in there looks healthy and looks like what every 9 week old baby should. These few moments last forever for me. The nurse is turned away from the monitor and putting some supplies away in a cabinet. She looks over her shoulder and announces that there is just one baby. I think... good- I'm not crazy! And huh, I had a feeling there would be two. Oh well, still good!

Then the doctor makes an odd sound. Oh Lord, please don't let there be something wrong. Then he busts out with "No, I see two. I'll turn the screen around so you can see." Thank goodness I was laying down! I think Jason must have asked if they were serious because after further inspection from the nurse she says "Yeah, there are two. No shit." For some reason her frankness was a little comforting to me... I know that sounds odd. The doctor points out each baby on the screen and the flicker that is their heart beating. One at a time and then both together. At this point they look nothing like babies, just two little blobs. But, the second I saw our little blobs I fell in love. I have the picture saved on my desktop at work and I have to look at them a couple times a day. And I can't wait to see them again. Our next appointment is July 7 and I may have to beg the doctor to do another ultrasound. And I'm not above it.

And now I want them both! Greedy, greedy, greedy, but I want them both!




I did still have to give blood, but it was a breeze after hearing that news! And in case anyone is wondering, twins do run in our family. My Mom's Dad is a twin (Gerald and Herald, isn't that cute!?!) and my Dad's Mom is a twin. She had a double wedding with her twin brother. I also read that taller women are more likely to carry twins. When I told my Mom this a few days before our appointment she said that God must look down and say "Hmm, she looks like she could handle it, I'll give her two." Well, if God thinks I can handle it, then I guess I can!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am so excited for you! This will be an amazing journey. Cherish every moment...it goes fast!

JenHowePeel said...

So many Coats - I can't wait! And really, you had a feeling there would be two babies and not just one? Craziness!